History of skimmers
2011-ATM manufacturers began cracking down on skimming by installing anti-skimming devices on their machines. These consisted of translucent, circular casings over the card reader, which the criminals quickly learned to replicate.
How it works
- Use Pumps/ATMs near attendants. Less chance they were compromised.
- Pay inside
- Pause before you swipe, inspect car slot, look for security seal
- Feel for difficulty inserting or sliding card
- Wiggle slot housing. Don’t have to break it. Criminals aren’t going to install anything that takes time or is permanent
- Check nearby pumps, compare slots for differences
- Guard the card number
- Use Apple/Samsung/Android pay whenever possible
- Check accounts regularly