Monday, April 16, 2018

Return phone calls


We recently needed some electrical work done. A friend made a recommendation. The electrician was called and several voice mails were left. Messages were also left with an assistant. Never received a return call. It baffles me how small businesses can ignore requests of their services. Apologies for singling out specific professions, but from my experience it seems to happen most often with tradesmen who own their own business, e.g.-electricians, plumbers, masons, etc. More than once, I’ve been referred to a person in the trades for residential work. The call is made but what you don’t get is a return call. You keep trying because of the reference regarding the quality of their skills, to no avail. Eventually you move on. Job lost. How can small businesses afford to ignore potential jobs? It makes you wonder how well their businesses are doing. To ignore potential customers/jobs is tantamount to turning business away. If they can afford that then they must have trucks unloading cash to the bank. Sometimes I think I chose the wrong career path.

My uncle was an electrician and ran a successful business for decades. He was able to sell the business and retire comfortably. When I was young I would spend summers helping with “apprentice” type duties. When I wasn’t at the job site I would help my aunt who ran the administrative side of the business as well as the supply chain. During those summers, I learned a lot about electrical work and running a business. Part of what I learned is how to speak to customers and potential clients. Seek out contracts and jobs. You never know from where your next paycheck is going to come.

Even if the job is outside your purview, call the customer back and offer an explanation-that the job is too small or not the type of work your business does. Give referrals. You may have turned down a job but you established some good will that may come back to benefit you later.

I know successful small business owners who are always hustling for more business. Their calendars are full of work and employees are busy. In busy times they know that they can never sit back, put their feet up, and figure they’re on top. They know that there are trends, up and downs, in any business. You have to keep looking ahead at what is coming. Always improving. Always analyzing what is working and what is not.

I had my own business. Some months it was very busy. During those times consideration was given to either doing the all the work myself or contracting out work. Other months you’re checking the phone lines because you can’t remember the last time there was a call. The point being - feast or famine. You never know when the phone is going to stop ringing.

Owning your own business is a great feeling. You should do what you love and if you can make money at it all the better. But it still takes effort. Just because you have a commodity that is in demand, doesn’t mean that it will stay in demand. Every business has competition, some more than others. If you don’t stay one step ahead your business will start to decline.

As far as my electrical issue. I did find an electrician that answered the phone personally and was eager to help. He passed on some troubleshooting tips that actually solved the problem without a service call. I didn’t formally hire the person but there was good will built for his honesty and eagerness. Definitely saved the contact information and will gladly give him referrals.  

Lee Cockerell, former VP at Walt Disney World, recently discussed a similar topic. Some day you'll want those customers. 
What if you're too busy for new customers
Please feel free to share. See the blog archive for other posts about customer service.

All systems down October 2017
Lasting Impression September 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment